The holidays are set to be different this year. A lot of countries have imposed restrictions on the number of people that can gather in one house, which means we can kiss goodbye to big family gatherings.
In our family, the holidays are all about games. Well, first food, then games. It wouldn’t be Christmas for us without a good game of charades, a round of Articulate, a heated game of Pictionary, or the good old classic, Trivial Pursuit. Without everyone huddled around the dinner table sipping Baileys and hot chocolates, this year won’t be the same.
We’re all going to have to adapt to the ‘new normal’, but there are ways in which we can keep our spirits high this year. Here is a game that works whether you’re all together, or you have to call-in online.
It’s simple, and I don’t know if it even has a name. In fact, there’s a good chance that one of us made it up at random. And the reason I love this game so much is that, not only can it be hilarious, it’s a great way to get to know your family a little bit better.
We spend a lot of time together, but I admit that we’re often either watching a film in silence or scrolling through our phones. Even if we’re in the same house, we each lead different lives.
This game is a window into the minds of your family members. It’s simple, it’s fun, it’s enlightening, and it can work for people who are joining in on a video-call. You’ll find a list of questions below, which you’re welcome to take, but feel free to include your own too!
Here’s how it works
Step 1: You write each of the questions below on a cut-out piece of paper. [You can also include extra questions that you want to ask; the questions below are only ideas.]
Step 2: You fold the questions up so they can’t be seen.
Step 3: You place them in a bowl, a hat, a stocking…and you place them in the center of the table.
Step 4: One person takes a question and reads it out loud. [If you’re in the same room, you can take it in turns to pick out the questions. If you’re connecting online, choose one person to call out the questions for every round].
Step 5: You go around in a circle so that each person can answer the question (the same question).
Step 6: Repeat this until all the questions have been called out.
Questions You Can Use
1. If you could invite anyone to a dinner party, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
2. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
3. Would you rather never be able to take a shower again or never be able to wear shoes again? Why?
4. If you could be anything you wanted to be, however ‘un-realistic’, what would it be? It can be anything!
5. If you could choose a super-power, what would it be, and why?
6. If you were a color, what color would you be, and why?
7. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
8. If you won $10,000, what would you spend it on?
9. If you won $100,000, what would you spend it on?
10. If you had to be re-born in a different country, what country would it be and why?
11. What is your favourite drink?
12. If you had to choose between never being able to taste anything again, or never brushing your teeth again, which would you choose and why?
13. Give an example of one thing that you want to achieve in your life.
14. What country would you most like to visit?
15. Say 3 things that you like or admire about the person sitting to your right (if you’re on a call, the next person to answer).
16. Say 3 things that you like about yourself.
17. Give an example of 1 thing that you’re looking to improve.
18. Give an example of 1 thing that you want to achieve next year.
19. If you could follow in the footsteps of one celebrity, who would it be?
20. What is your favourite quote or expression?
21. If you were about to have the last 3-course-meal of your life, what would it be and why?
22. If you had to be either a primary school teacher or a nurse, which would you be? Why?
23. If you had to be either an astronaut or a fireman, which would you be, and why?
24. If you were a world-class athlete, what would your sport be?
25. If you could make one significant improvement in the world, what would it be, and why?
26. What’s your idea of an ideal Sunday?
27. If you were stranded on a desert island and you could only take one person, who would it be? Why?
28. If you were stranded on a desert island and you could only take one item with you, what would it be?
29. What book/film/series/podcast, or blog would you recommend to everyone, and why?
30. If you could invent something, what would it be?
Happy holidays everyone!